[Dailydrool] Recognizing each other

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 08:06:01 PST 2010

I think most purebreds recognize their own breed as distinctly different
from themselves. Having introduced several Basset pups to an adult Belgian
and gotten looks of utter horror (My GOD what IS it???) points me in that
direction, as well as an experience at a Belgian picnic when a Golden
wandered into the scene and every Belgian there went berserk. AN INVADER!!
I also know that dogs recognize other breeds: when I first showed Conley we
were in a ring next to the Belgians and he went nutty trying to get over to
the Belgians, looking for Cooper.
Quiller, our first Belgian was always interested and friendly toward the
Bassets at shows but showed little interest in other breeds unless they were
in season.
Conley inexplicably fell madly in love with a Leonberger at one show. The
favoritism was quite obvious and has extended to other Leonbergers.
Zelda hated Irish Wolfhounds after an attempted rape (The owner would have
done well to have had better physical control over his dog.) This extended
eventually to include any dog that got "in her face" including Bassets. She
was a Queen and disliked having the riff-raff too close.
Mitchell liked most dogs if they seemed friendly. He was a bit of a chicken.
He never fought with anyone over anything. At the dog park, if trouble was
brewing he would simply hide behind my legs even if it was across the park.
We no longer belong to a Dog Park due to my overwhelming suspicion that
Nigel and Conley would take on all comers....

MomPerson to Llewis, Nigel, Cooper and the highly Deliquent Child, Conley:
who proved he can reach an entire turkey even when it is pushed back on the
counter and protected by a ring of cans and pots.