[Dailydrool] Pneumothorax

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 20:38:50 PST 2010

 Wendy, it isn't too surprising that Noah developed a pneumo during or after a surgical procedure - all it takes is a teensy, tiny nick of a lung and whoosh! The air inside comes out in a rush and into the chest cavity.  When this happens it keeps the collapsed lung from re-inflating.  The treatment, depending on how big the hole is, is to put a catheter or chest tube through the chest wall to let all the free air escape.  The lung will then re-inflate and usually heals quickly.  Hounds or humans have some shortness of breath when this happens as the oxygen which is supposed to get into the bloodstream takes a detour.  Glad to hear the outcome was good and that you big guy is home and doing well.  BTW, the treatment for humans who have large pneumos is exactly the same - and if it it bad enough we paramedics do this in the field.  NOT my favorite thing as I have been on the receiving end...it hurts!

You sure have had your hands full lately...
Hugs and snooters from Sandi and the NJ 4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley