[Dailydrool] What does a reputable breeder do when ....

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Nov 25 19:40:25 PST 2010

Sara -
I was not seeking advice . just sharing an experience.

In regard to some of your comments:
	*I think it is hard to place two from the same litter in one home.
Especially sisters. They can age with adulthood and get extremely upset with
each other long term.  It is actually a known phenomenon in other breeds.
In some breeds, bitches who are full siblings from the same litter have been
known to kill or seriously wound each other after sexual maturity.

We have bred 16 litters in 22 years.  We have placed littermates (two males,
two females and one male/one female) together multiple times.  We have also
placed puppies of different ages together.  All (except this one) have been
very successful placements with the dogs growing old together with no
problems.

	*So far, my girls only throw one girl puppy in each litter, so I
don't know. I prefer to match half-sisters and half-brothers, from different
litters and subsequently, slightly different ages and developmental levels,
and I feel strongly that mothers and a daughter should stay together if
possible.  But I like two dogs together with bassets, or four.  Don't like
three or five because that leaves one out, unless one is old and doesn't
want anything to do with the rest.

How many litters have you bred and how many puppies of your own breeding
have you placed?  You obviously have many strong opinions about placing dogs
but what is your experience in actually breeding, whelping, raising and
placing a litter.  Also, the pack nature of bassets lends itself readily to
packs of various sizes and ages.  My dogs (six intact males) range from age
10 months to 12 years.  The 12 year old (as do the 11 year old, 10 year old,
3 year old and 2 year old) all play with the puppy every day.  The three
youngest play together every day for hours.

	*As far as screening the home, it is a tough one.  I like home
visits and trying to take a visiting dog of the same age and temperment for
a weekend or overnight, once all else checks out.  I have a "terrorist"
adolescent I could take to someone if I really wanted to see what they could
handle... but I would have to be very sure of security etc. first.

I do think that many with older dogs forget what it is like having a puppy
and training, and are really freaked out when little things happen like the
dog won't go out the dog door on it's own to go pee.  It is also possible
that to really have them read stuff like "Before and After Getting a Puppy"
by Dunbar, and reviewing things like chewing, housebreaking, sep anx and
demand barking, and how to deal with all of that.  But yeah, I have also
found that seeing an older dog through a lifetime is not necessarily a sign
of a good puppy home.

Obviously, home visits are crucial . so crucial in fact that we have
actually travelled 750 miles to do a home visit.  We also have our puppy
buyers visit us multiple times . yes, even from 750 miles away.  Our
criterion for puppy placement is very intensive.  We provide multiple
resources (many of them written by us) and others in the public domain and
purchased materials to assure a well-educated puppy owner.  We also are in
contact with them at least monthly through the first several years and meet
with them (or attempt to) annually thereafter.

		*I also get individuals ready by separating them and keeping
them for a few hours during the day alone in the van.  If they are going to
be with a cat, I will stick a cat in with them.  Also we do individual car
rides and crating.  I have separated fairly bonded pairs pretty easily by
using the group of bassets as distraction.  Most will refocus on new dog
friends and then I can wean them away from the dog they are attached to
using different yards and parts of the house.  I will start them sleeping
together and then crate train separately but near to the other, then slowly
move the crates away nearer to other dog friends.

Having raised multiple litters and prepared LOTS of puppies for separation
from their mother and littermates, we are well aware of separation
techniques, optimal timing for separation, etc.  As I said in my post, we
could separate them, especially since they are under one year old.

While I accept the fact that others may not know these techniques, I do hope
you know that we are experienced and reputable breeders who do not need to
be lectured.

Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets