[Dailydrool] Nationals

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 03:00:50 PDT 2010

I spent two days at the Nationals -most people spend a week but I drove back
and forth. It is a beautiful spot with lots of green space to walk the
hounds. It is always fun to see so many truly elegant hounds in one place,
wearing their snoods,tails waving happily. What could be better? Lots of
treats (after all, everyone has bait tucked away in a pocket someplace) tons
of admiring people-- belly rubs and "hands on"-- puppies everyplace,
stumbling and wagging frantically. A hundred butts to sniff (by the hounds)
and almost no snarking. Conley checked every butt hoping to find just one
that had that delicious "I'm yours" odor, but those girls, if any were in
season, were carefully segregrated.
And the colors! Between the beginning of the fall trees and the myriad
colors of the dogs, red and whites, tris, black and tans, lemons--the snoods
added a unique touch. Sparkles and sequins, veils and sunshades-- stars and
stripes and flowers and prints and plaids and formal and informal...
I was there mostly with my co-owner, who showed Conley one day and then her
assistant showed Conley the second day. Sandi Wittinberg there with her ten
Red Bay dogs: from beautiful Norm to her proud Veteran. Thank you, Sandi,
for the help in getting Conley's tail up, and reminding me that I need to
relax in the ring-- altho as it turned out I wasn't even in the ring..LOL.
I did not stay so I cannot tell you who won this or that class only that
Conley, who showed like a pro, head up, tail up (!!!!!) did not, but we did
not expect to. I am sure others will be along with the results.
Conley's brother was there and they look a lot alike. His sister was not
altho the day I was there they were only showing males. I am very proud of
Conley-- he did himself proud. He didn't even howl constantly when left in
his crate (lots of crate time.)
For the Houndophile, there is noplace quite like the Nationals.
Conley, by the way, is glad to be home.

MomPerson to Conley, Nigel, Llewis and Cooper