[Dailydrool] New Southeast Rescue Group

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 07:19:40 PDT 2010

Dear Hound Lovers,

We are happy to announce that there is a new rescue group! We call ourselves
the Basset Rescue Crew of the Southeast (BaRCSE). We have our 501(c)(3) and
some very dedicated basset hound lovers but we need your help. We need some
more basset hound lovers like you to become Crew members. We have so
many hopes and goals that we want to shoot for. Like every other rescue, we
will always push "adopt, don't shop" and spay and neuter. One of our main
goals is to educate individuals who have adopted a basset hound and had no
idea what they were getting themselves into. We would like to develop a
mentoring program so new hound owners will have someone other than a shelter
to turn to when their nine month old basset puppy is still not house trained
or still chewing the furniture or still shredding the carpet or becoming
aggressive with other dogs. We feel strongly that education is the key to
basset ownership and many hounds would be saved if their owners had someone
to turn to when the going gets tough. Another goal we are working on is to
develop a network of people throughout the southeast to rescue, transport
and foster. For example, I'm in NC and have a hound in my local shelter. I
can't foster but there is a family in Tennessee who can. We would like to
create that network to connect people to rescue and move the hound in need
to Tennessee and ultimately rehome him so he will finally get into a safe,
loving home. Some day we would love to have so much money that we can help
that individual who loves and wants to keep their basset hound but doesn't
have the money to have that surgical procedure done or treat their hound for
heart worm or spay/neuter their dog and ultimately gives them up to a
shelter, thinking that is their only way out. We know that is way down the
road but we can dream!

What we need right now is you. We currently have a small group of dedicated
volunteers in North and South Carolina. We received our 501(c)(3) in March
but we are stalled until we get more volunteers and dedicated people like
you to really start developing our plan. I have to tell you, we are not in a
position to take in any more foster dogs at this point. We have a senior
bonded pair and another hound that we are fostering and, sadly, that is all
we can do right now until we have more foster homes. Also, like every other
rescue, we have no money. Our current volunteers have been so generous and
have donated money to vet the three hounds we have but we don't have the
financial means to vet any more hounds until we build up a bank account.

So please, check us out at BaRCSE.org. We would love to have you become a
Crew member so we can start building our network of basset hound mentors and
rescuers. We would be glad to work with other basset hound rescue groups
too. A basset is an asset, no matter what state he's in and all of us know
that we can work with more than one rescue group. It would be a wonderful
thing if we can make it so there were no basset hounds in any of the
shelters, wouldn't it?

Jane Hay
VP BaRCSE
MomPerson to the Houndettes