[Dailydrool] Life just got a little more involved

Susan Tonjes sdtonjes at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 15:38:42 PDT 2010

We just learned this week that Blue has diabetes mellitus and is now getting insulin injections twice a day.  We go back in 10 days to see how he's doing.

We don't post very often, but we've been DD subscribers for 11 years when we got Blue & his brother/littermate Jonesy as 8 week old pupsters.  Jonesy's at the Rainbow Bridge & we're doing our best to keep Blue going.

But it's not easy -- he lost an eye to glaucoma 3 years ago and so we do eye drops 3 times a day in the remaining eye.    He's had seizures in the past and was on phenobarbitol for several years.  A year ago he quit eating and tests showed that he had liver damage so now he's on potassium bromide to control the seizures (he hasn't had any in about 4 years) and denamarin to help with his liver.  The tests also showed that he has IBD so he's on meds for that.

In spite of it all, Blue is a trooper but would appreciate any spare drool. He seems to be feeling okay (his appetite is excellent), but he is drinking a ton of water.  He had bloodwork a month ago and his blood sugar numbers were well within the normal range.   This week he was at 367 with high normal being 125.  So you never know how quickly things can change!

Thanks for listening -- I feel better!

Susan T. & Blue (I've lost 4 lbs this months, without trying -- I may need a snack)