[Dailydrool] Violeta's update - Questions too. Long, sorry.

Virginia Oliveira duda.tuppence at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 9 03:48:06 PDT 2010

Please, my parents don't know I broke my leg, so please dont tell them. I'm fine and they don't need this added stress, ok?
Fankyouse
Virginia Oliveira

Hi my drooler friends,

First I'd like to thank all of you who wrote us giving support, sharing knowledge about glaucoma and blindness in dogs and sending buckets and even barrels of drool.
It is very hard to see your furbaby go through glaucoma. Mostly because we tend to think she is suffering the same way we would be if we were the ones going through this. And we don't want her in pain.
As most of you probably know, we caught the glaucoma in the right eye too late, mostly due to our complete ignorance about this awful disease, so she lost the sight in this eye and we continued to treat it with drops.
The disease in the second eye came less than 2 months after the first. But according to Dr Christmas, the dadperson caught it on the very first day what gives us hope of her seeing at least a little with that eye.
In the morning when dadperson left to work she was fine, the same Violeta as always. When he got home by lunchtime, she was blind. He caught her and run to the vetspital. Dr Christmas showed up an hour after and after measuring the pressure, treated her with drops. She stayed in the vetspital overnight under observation and measuring the pressure. It was low the whole night, and when the morning came she was seeing again. I can't describe how happy we were.
She was discharged and went home. The next day she woke up blind again. The dadperson did again the same thing, grabed her and rushed to the vetspital.
Dr Christmas was there 1 hour later, examined her and said we would better have the laser surgery. So it was done and since she would be under anesthesia, we agreed to do the the "injection"(that's what I think it was, tomorow I'll be there and see what is written on the bill) in the other eye (the blind one). She went well in the surgery and the pressure was low in both eyes.

She spent the night there and the next day, early, Doc Christmas was there and said she was well and seeing  a little as if she was seeing through a straw, only far, not close.He added that only after the inflamation in this eye is gone, we will be able to know how much she will see. Do you guys agree with it or he is only trying to make us feel better?
 At home she acts as if she is totally blind and changed some habits like she prefers the big bean bag thanto jump to the couch. She still cannot find her food bowl by herself, still touch the wall as she walks, etc...Outside is diferent. She goes down/up the deck stairs to the backyard as if she could see, fast and safely. In her walks is the same. We believe Doc Christmas was right when he said she can see far.

We would like to know if any of you went through this and if the inflamation after the laser surgery is normal and for how long. And do you think her vision can improve?Did any of you went through this?
Sorry for the long mail but only now I could write it clearly, without crying and fall apart.

To add, on the day of her surgery I broke my leg (tibia, I believe is the name of the bone). But it is ok. Drool and prayers are very welcome, but Vio needs way more than I do.
Doc Christmas gave dadperson the book "Living with blind dogs", something like that, the one many droolers recomended. It was good, because I coudn't  find it to sell. He said he hopes we don't need it.
Dadperson is falling apart to see his baby like this. He cried so much I thought he would be dehydrated (just a little joke). I cried a lot too but now I decided to be strong for her and for the dadperson. They need it. Tomorow we will spend the day toghether. Ans Monday we will be together for thanksgiving.

Love you all my friends and furends,
Virginia, Dadperson, Violeta and Xaxa
Happy thanksgiving to all Canadian droolers.