[Dailydrool] Sebaceous Cysts

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 14:58:17 PDT 2010

When we lived in Florida, our vet was extremely experienced in treating
Bassets.  When our Beau (ATB) began developing sebaceous cysts, our vet  gave
me a few suggestions.

The first thing is to feel around the cyst and make absolutely sure you can
 feel all around it.  If you can't, let your vet check it to make sure that
 it is not more than a sebaceous cyst.  He said that, for the average
sebaceous cyst, it was not necessary to subject a dog to surgery or even
draining the cyst by the vet.

He said to start gently manipulating the cyst a couple of times a day,
making sure you came up from under the cyst.  He also suggested applying a
warm, moist clean cloth to the cyst once or twice a day to open the pores to
encourage drainage.  Patience is necessary as I've seen them  take months
before they were ready to drain.

Once the cyst begins to drain or pops (I call it exploding in some cases),
keep the area of the cyst clean, let it drain and apply an antibiotic
ointment 3  or 4 times a day.  Beau had one cyst that blew a hole the size of a
nickel  so I called the vet and the vet put him on amoxicillin for ten days
because it  was so deep.   If your Basset lies on a couch or chair, I'd
strongly  suggest putting an old blanket or towels on your furniture to protect
it from  the drainage.

This has been a great way to handle cysts for us and our Megan Mariah just
had one start draining the other evening and she has two more that will be
ready  at some point.

Marie
Scarlet and Megan Mariah