[Dailydrool] Lost Dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 16:35:08 PDT 2010

Having worked at a place that is a repository for lost and abandoned dogs,
my educated guess is that less than 20% of all dog owners really look for
their pets, or know how to look, or where. Most of the dogs that ended up
where I worked were very lucky, because we kept them as long as we could,
sometimes months, trying to adopt them out.
The number of people who chip their dogs and never register the chip is
astronomical, and nothing is as frustrating and disappointing as calling
Avid or HomeAgain and after giving them the number learning the number is
not in their files. I chipped my puppies before they left here and offered
financial incentives for registering the chip. A year later I called Avid
and learned that the only registered pups were MINE-- Llewis and Nigel!!
Because I had the numbers, I registered them in my name so if one of my pups
ends up in a shelter, they will call ME, and I can rescue the dog.
I don't like calling Animal Control but now, where I live, you have to have
an incident number from the PD before the Vet is reimbursed for caring for
the dog or cat.I would rather drop a stray at Docs than at the shelter. We
have an isolated ward for them and no obligation to euthanize by a certain
date.
I know how many dogs are reunited and how many are not.
One of my jobs for years was to go through the stray kennel and mark a big
black X on the cage cards of the dogs to be euthanized.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper

REMEMBER: CHIP YOUR DOGS AND THEN REGISTER THAT CHIP!!!