[Dailydrool] mushrooms in NY

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 06:40:59 PDT 2010

If your basset ate a mushroom, I would scoop up any left and run it down to
the vet with the dog to see if it is poisonous. I live in upstate NY on the
Western Side and while up at my mom's has had a man stop by to ask if he
could pick the mushrooms growing in her side yard. He was skilled in knowing
which ones were ok to eat and which ones were poisonous.  If one sees any
mushrooms growing in the dog yard it is best to take them up at once
(sometimes you can't if you are on a walk or what not).
   http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-care-tips/autumn-safety-tips.html This
states that 99% of mushrooms are not poisonous, but to contact the vet
anyway

The blasted squirrels are out like crazy right now. This always brings me
back to a few years ago when poor Maggie ate an acorn on a walk by the
church. We did not know she ate it. It caused terrible bloody diarrhea and
she had to be hospitalized. She passed the acorn (she is iron gut), but we
almost lost her. I check the dog yard for them now.

Better Homes and Garden has pumpkin stencils of certain dog breeds, but
sadly they do not have the basset hound. Last year I did the dachshund one
on a pumpkin and it turned out well. One would have to print out and tape it
together (if I remember right) to make the stencil. Someone suggested to
them to make a basset hound one already.

Hope everyone is doing well.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,