[Dailydrool] Annie's trouble jumping up on couch

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 12:02:49 PDT 2010

After I heard from a Drooler that her basset stopped jumping up on the couch a few months before she slipped a disk and had to be put down, I decided to take Annie to the vet to get her checked out.  I brought Fred along because I was having guys come to fix my heat and decided to bring Fred and Annie to daycare.  It's nearly impossible to get Annie in the car without Fred and nearly impossible to keep Fred out of the car.  I decided we'd all head to the vet and then to daycare...I'm sure that many of you know that, while bringing one dog to the vet can be trying, bringing more than one is total chaos!  Is there any sound more irritating than a nervous dog loudly whimpering for the entire ride to the vet, the entire wait in the waiting room and the entire ride home??  That would be Annie.  Fred stole stuffed animals meant for kids to play with, and tried to go and "visit" a cat sitting in a carrier.  When I tried to weigh them, the weights came up as 54 lbs for Annie and 39 for Fred...my dogs are both 60+ lbs, but since they both kept trying to jump off the scale, the measured weights were only for a fraction of their bodies!!

Anyway, as soon as Annie is up on the vet's table, she totally calms down and lets the vet do whatever she needs to.  It is really amazing how nervous she is before and after, but she is an amazing patient!   When she was rescued, that is what was written up about her...she was so patient with all of the poking and prodding.  The vet agreed that a slipped disk was a possibility and that I was right to get Annie checked out.  She said that her back seemed a little tight, but there was no weakness in her back legs, and no pain when she felt along her spine.   We are going to try her on Rimadyl for a week to see if it seems to help.  If so, I will keep it in the house to use as needed, because she might have some arthritis...she seems to get achy in cold, damp weather.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Rose (tired), Annie (stressed) and Fred (CAMP!!!)