[Dailydrool] Flash and Wilma

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:08:46 PDT 2010

It is exactly two weeks ago today that we adopted Flash and Wilma, a bonded pair of almost-nine-year-olds.  I cannot believe how many emails were sent wishing us and the dogs every happiness:  Thank you, each and every one of you.  Droolers are, indeed, legendary for their sweetness of heart and I can attest to this first-hand.

Both dogs have settled in remarkably well.  Flash ("The Shark") is a counter-surfer extraordinaire, has snagged a few things but, by and large, I seem to be able to outwit him.  After almost two weeks of peace, just yesterday he discovered the 'delights' of the litter box.  And wouldn't you know it:  This is a dog who *loves* to give kisses.  I am also grateful every single day for Roger Mugford, who invented the Halti.  God bless 'im.

Wilma ("The Nose") is an absolute darling.  Her only failing is dedicated whining, but I now have them on a regimen of six pee breaks a day, on a schedule, and so her whining has stopped, thank God.

Paul and I have really lucked out with this pair.  They are loving and good-natured.  And Paul, the dyed-in-the-wool Terrier Man, has admitted, and not grudgingly, either, that he loves them.  He especially loves when they greet him like insane dervishes when he comes through the door and then, 12 seconds later, they're flaked out on the chesterfield.

Their first family is still in touch with us, and will visit sometime this week.  Much to my amazement, though, they plan on bringing their four-year-old son, the child who is cripplingly asthmatic.  Go figure.

Again, thank you for your well-wishes and your lovely and charming sentiments.

Veronica Woodruff, in the wilds of Nova Scotia

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live  the life you have imagined."  Henry David Thoreau