[Dailydrool] eating stool

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:56:02 PDT 2010

There are products on the market called For-bid or Dis-taste. I have never
used either for my bassets, but I really should. Maggie is a major poop
eater. She will eat Mazzie's, her own, whoevers in the yard. Gag me. I was
picking up dog feces in the yard with a shovel and placing it in grocery
plastic bag and commented to my husband that there was lots of doxie poop,
but hardly any basset poop. His reply was because Maggie eats it. I do
believe that she has taught Harvey and occasionally Cooper to eat it too.
This has also increased, like Bev stated, since it has gotten colder. I
don't recall if it was my vet that said it or where I have heard it, but I
had heard that not all of the food is digested and is passed in the stool so
then the dog can smell it and eats the stool. It is a definite behavior
issue. Something to worry about is that if your dog eats other animals'
stool on a walk then perhaps it could be infected with parasites. Luckily,
none of mine have done that. If anyone finds a "cure" all please post it to
the drool.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,