[Dailydrool] Testing for lamb

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Oct 21 11:39:17 PDT 2010

I have had many of my dogs tested for allergies over the years--6 to be exact.  They most certainly CAN be allergic to lamb.  You didn't say what kind of testing you are having done--skin or RAST.  I have always had good enough results with RAST that I haven't subjected a dog to the skin testing, but some vets won't mess with RAST testing.  Anyway, it is standard in the RAST testing.  I have had two dogs allergic to lamb.

I know someone else was asking about favorite venison diets.  I have had great results with both Natural Balance venison and sweet potato and Grandma Lucy's venison and potato.  I fed a mixture of these to a poor sweetheart with really wicked allergies.  She was really hard to feed because she had decided that food was the enemy.  She was vomiting and having terrible diarrhea before I worked on her allergies.  She loved both of these food.  Warning: Grandma Lucy's is a dehydrated diet that you have to rehydrate.

For the record, I have had two dogs allergic to venison and one to duck.  There is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic diet in general unless you go with a diet that has been molecularly changed such as Science Diet Z/D.

I keep thinking if I am going to keep sticking my nose into everyone's business, I ought to introduce myself.  I have been lurking for about a month now.

I am Jennifer Martin, slave mommy to Beauford and Bugsey.  Beauford is 18 months old and a rescue we got from Guardian Angel.  His foster mommy had a litter of puppies, and we were lucky enough to get one of them 6 months ago.  That is Bugsey.  They are both bassets.  My husband and I have been a basset exclusive household for the past 20 years.  At the moment we are in mourning becuase we had to send Beaker, a 4 year old basset rescue, over the bridge two weeks ago.

Jennifer, slave mommy to Beauford and Bugsey