[Dailydrool] Elsinore and Charlie take part in a roadside dumping

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 16:09:34 PDT 2010

Well, we've started our fall out with a real bang--two basset picnics
and a big hiking expedition. I'm still playing catch-up from it all.
Ken turned 50 last month and decided he wanted to mark the occasion
by hiking the Appalachian Trail, something he's dreamed of doing for
years. Even better, he's dreamed of doing it all by himself, not with
me or the hounds. I enjoy the odd day hike now and then, but I have
no desire to spend months doing nothing but walking up and down
mountains and sleeping in a tent where I'll be bitten by spiders in
the night.

It takes several months to hike the whole 2,000 mile trail from
Georgia to Maine (or vice versa), and Ken doesn't get that much
vacation time. And after watching my father die of a terminal disease
at the age of 66, completely missing the retirement years he'd
counted on for doing fun things, Ken knows that none of us are
guaranteed either a retirement or good health in our golden years. By
the time he has the time to hike the whole trail, he may not have the
ability to do so. So, he figured, if he's going to hike even a
portion of the trail, he'd better do it now while he can. Anyway,
what better way to spend a landmark birthday? I was fine with this
plan because it saved me the work of organizing a big party, and he
wasn't insisting I do this hike with him.

Several days before his birthday, our Elsinore, young Charlie, and I
loaded up Ken and all 55 pounds of his hiking gear and drove four
hours to eastern Tennessee. The access points for the Appalachian
Trail are usually next to impossible to find, and I'd prepared for a
lot of driving around in circles looking for a small clearing in the
forest and a brown AT sign tucked behind large bushes. But we found
the access point and pull-off parking spot on the North Carolina
border pretty easily. Even better, neither hound was carsick on those
twisty mountain roads. Our late Jane Basset would have arrived with
an empty stomach and an all-over green tinge. Poor dog, she found
mountain driving absolutely nauseating.

To reward the hounds for being so patient on the long drive, we
walked them for about an hour on the trail. They found all kinds of
things to smell, including several varieties of lovely poop from wild
animals they don't see in our urban neighborhood. Thankfully, they
didn't roll on it. Or eat it. Could've been a loooong trip home if
they had.

When we got back to the car, Ken helped me load the dogs up. Then he
shouldered his pack, picked up his walking sticks, and got back on
the trail to begin his solitary, celebratory, ten-day, fiftieth-
birthday hike. I drove off and left him there. It felt really, really
wrong.

As I headed back down the mountain and toward the interstate, I began
to wonder how this whole situation looked to Elsinore and Charlie.
 From their perspective, I'd just dumped Ken on the side of the road
on some godforsaken mountain, miles from any houses or trash cans or
other food sources, and then driven away. Were they wondering what
heinous thing he'd done to make me abandon him like that? Had he dug
up the hydrangeas I've nursed through our long, hot summer? Had he
taken food off the counter one too many times? Had he (gasp) left a
puddle or even pooped on the good oriental carpet?

Or maybe, as someone later suggested to me, Elsinore and Charlie were
envying Ken's ability to get back on the trail with all its enticing
new scents to follow. Either way, they were exceptionally well
behaved after we got home. Charlie didn't tear up a single magazine
or toilet paper roll.

I spent Ken's absence trying not to worry about bears. It's fall, and
the Smokey Mountain bears are pretty active right now, preparing for
hibernation. From their point of view, there's Ken trotting along
looking meaty and feeling as invulnerable as an adolescent. What a
great way to stock up the pantry, yes? Ken promised me he'd hang all
his food in a bag from a tree a good half mile from where he'd be
sleeping, though I suspected he was just saying that to shut me up. I
finally decided I'd probably read too many Readers Digest articles.
Their stories of "I faced a [fill in the blank] and survived!" tend
to feature either shipwrecks or bear attacks.

Ten days later, the hounds and I drove from Columbus, Ohio, where
we'd been for the OBR picnic, to Damascus, Virginia, to meet Ken in a
church parking lot, as prearranged. Elsinore and Charlie were
ecstatic to see him again, trying to climb out the open car windows
to get to him and wiggling so much they shook the car. Charlie cried,
he was so happy. They must have thought Ken really was history. But
suddenly, there he was, in the place they least expected, and he
looked as if he'd done okay fending for himself out in the wild. I
can tell you, though, he sure was glad to see his food bowl (in the
form of a large pizza) again! Because he promised to behave in the
house, I let him back in the car, took him home, and made him take a
long bath because he looked a bit mildewed as well as filthy.

Despite persistent chilly temps and drizzle, Ken had a great birthday
hike. He traveled 103 miles, almost lost a fight with an ugly briar
patch, was stung by swarming yellow jackets, got lost once, and came
close to falling off a ledge, but he didn't see any bears (or "bare
holes," Nigel). Bear poop, yes, but no actual bears. All that worry
for nothing. And now we're back to our normal lives, though Ken's
been talking a lot about "the next time." So I guess our Elsinore and
young Charlie will just have to get used to me dumping Ken on the
side of the road and then driving off and leaving him there. I DO NOT
EVER condone doing that sort of thing with pets, but I've decided
it's probably okay with husbands who've requested it.

Elizabeth