[Dailydrool] a tiny bit of drool and Morse being a brat

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 04:40:06 PDT 2010

First of all can I just ask for a bit of drool for Morse? Nothing major but he
is finding this rental place difficult. He is licking a fair bit and we are
doing our best to stop him, we are imagining it is a  bit of stress, though he
has always been a vigorous washer. He is used to getting a LOT of sleep - when I
was at work he would sleep from when I left, ie 7-7.30am - right through to
about 2.30pm.  I am applying for jobs but if I get one it probably wont be until
around Christmas time, so we are both here with him and as we are only in one
room I think he is missing his sleep, so we are going to try and be a lot
quieter to make sure he catches up on his kipping.  So that I think is making
him irritable.  To make matters worse we cannot leave him as he is frightened in
this place - he just doesnt feel easy here.  Another reason for that is I think
he is similar to us - he likes airy, bright places like our last house.  The new
house will be similar.  But this rented cottage is 400 years old, dark and very
small - so no real sunlight.  He hates it.  He feels better sleeping on the bed
upstairs as it is a bright room, but the only room down here is small and very
dark, so again this isnt helping.  Also he loved going round his garden.  Here
he has a garden but he has to go on a pathway to get to it and through a gate,
and there is a dog yapping a lot on the other side, and now he has decided he
will not go into the garden at all.  To be frank I could happily just pack up
and take him back to our old town but I dont think it would help - for one our
house has been sold anyway, and we need to give this a chance.  Hopefully we'll
only be in this rented place for about another 6-8 weeks, and then we will be in
our new place where we can finally see if he settles once he is back in a
routine and he has his garden again.  I think if the home situation was better
he might feel happier, but to be honest I think I really underestimated just how
sensitive he is and just how much he misses the village.  Or maybe he doesnt,
maybe its just that he isnt happy here.  Mike keeps reminding me that even in
Writtle he could be an awkward boy who would refuse to budge out on the walks,
so maybe I am making too much of it.  What we have said is that if he doesnt
settle in lets say a year, then I think we have to look at going back. I really
hope it doesnt come to that but I couldnt stand to see him unhappy.
On a brighter note, he was a bit of a brat yesterday. We tried to cheer Morse up
by taking him to a cute pub in the  middle of the countryside. Unfortunately we
hadnt long had a late breakfast so neither of us was hungry and in the mood for
what they were serving - a typical Sunday roast - and Morse was devastated. He
sat in the middle of the patio outside watching waitresses come and go with
plates piled high with roast beef, yorkshire puds etc. Then we took him into
Kingsbridge for a wander and stopped at another pub by the quayside where again
people were ordering food, and he again planted himself down and drooled at the
coming and goings of the plates stacked with fish and chips. So we took him home
and a while after his tea took him for a walk. Mike went ahead with some heated
chips from our tea the night before and planted them at different intervals just
so it would feel like 'home'. This went down well and the tail was high and
happy. We had our own tea later (Morse had some hot chicken) and we crashed out
at 8pm exhausted. From the settee where Morse sprawled (he has the entire sofa -
if I am in the way he kicks me impatiently and stares coldly at the obstruction)
there came a faint, high pitched whine. I closed my eyes, knowing what this
meant. Another walk. Mike protested but I said there was nothing for it, and I
wasnt walking round a dark Devon village in the pitch black by myself, so off we
all went, it was freezing. Morse trotted along. We were only out about 10 mins
and we came home. Morse headed straight for the stairs. No, we said, far too
early for bed. Obviously not for Morse. He took no notice and plodded upstairs
in his determined way. When I got up there he stood with his chin resting on the
bed, wanting a lift. So he went to bed at 8.30pm and all was quiet.

drool to all in need.

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB