[Dailydrool] 13 bassets from ND- safe!

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 25 08:53:54 PDT 2010

I didn't see my earlier post but I am having trouble with Drools
disappearing into SPAM too.  Just an update that the 13 bassets and basset
mixes from the "designer breeder" operation in ND have been safely settled
into foster homes in MN with Basset Buddies Rescue.  They are very sweet but
very scared.  These dogs were among the 200 pulled from deplorable
conditions.  The Central Dakota Humane Society along with a few local
rescues, are doing an incredible job with trying to care for all these dogs.
These new additions to BBR range from 12 weeks old to 4 yrs old, including a
pregnant momma, Pauline.  Pauline had obviously been bred back to back as
her tummy had not tucked up at all from her last litter.  We heard that the
owner of this terrible operation admitted pulling the puppies at 3 weeks old
so that the mom would go back into heat sooner to breed more puppies.  You
have to wonder how many pups were lost by being pulled from their mom at 3
weeks.  One of the puppy mixes had his ears cut off! All dogs were carrying
a heavy parasite load.  Sadly, not much notice of this situation has been
publicized outside of ND.  The CDHS site is http://www.cdhs.net/ and is
probably the best source for information but they have not had time to
update their website.  Understandable because after the first 129 dogs were
pulled out, they went back and grabbed another 70.  Please pass the word
because the more people that know about  the situation the more likely the
officials of Bowman county, ND will move forward with prosecuting the person
responsible for these terrible conditions.

Lisa and the MN Woofers

Ella Marie, Hank, Copper and Sidney ATB