[Dailydrool] Basset sightings in media

Bonnie Harlow blessedbassets at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 19:51:55 PDT 2010

I am one of the droolers that just cannot keep up on my reading of posts...I am always behind. So please forgive me if what I am about to share is already well known.  Tommy Hilfiger did his fall fashion campaign as a tailgate party of the Hilfiger family along with their Basset Hounds.  I am about the least fashionista person (actually anti-fashionista) but this was brought to my attention because a design person contacted me to hire my Bassets for a clothing catalog photo shoot BECAUSE of the Hilfiger ads.  She told me that everyone wanted to copy these ads.  You can google "Basset Hounds in Hilfiger ads" and get several links to see the photos.  Two of my Bassets were actually hired for the photo shoot for the upcoming  clothing catalog.  The photos were modeled off of the Hilfiger ads.  This was the first time we had ever done anything like this and discovered that "model" dogs are paid very, very well.  My dogs are not professionally trained so I requested a lot of prayer from all of my friends and my church and they behaved perfectly....I was happily surprised.  One of the two, Gabriel, has been obedience trained and the other, Sunshine, is the daughter of my Mr. Incorrigible Wally so she is kind of a "loose cannon".  I attribute their success to the grace of God ....lots of answered prayers. Everyone at the photo shoot was enamored with the Bassets and loved on them and asked lots of questions about the breed.  I hope we were good ambassadors for Basset Hounds.   I think this is the perfect job for a Basset Hound because they so enjoyed meeting all of the new people and had lots of time just to lay around between shoots and even in the photos they just got to chill out...something Bassets are very good at.  It was actually fun for my dogs and for me.
    Then while watching "Parenthood"  (on NBC on Tuesday nights) two weeks ago,  there was a Basset Hound.  He was being walked and greeting the family in a Halloween costume.  The only problem was that he was not allowed to really act like a Basset....no real greeting or rolling over for a belly rub....he just stood there and then walked off with his owner.  But I was so happy to see our wonderful Bassets on TV.  Also recently here in Texas the furniture company, Roomstore, has featured a Basset in their ad.  So maybe Tommy Hilfiger is bringing some attention to our wonderful breed.

Bonnie Harlow and the Blessed Bassets