[Dailydrool] Need Bloat info. please

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 06:54:40 PDT 2010

Radar had his second Pre-Bloat episode early this morning.  He had all
the classic symptoms, vomited foam, gulping air, hardened stomach.  I
gave him a Gas X and massaged his belly.  He burped three times and
settled down to sleep.  In total this took about an hour.  I watched him
the rest of the morning (this started at 4 AM).  Looking back now, I
realize we were lucky and should have taken him straight to the
Emergency Vet.  We still don't understand why this happened while he was
sleeping.  There was no initial warning with the throwing up like
usual.  The doctor doesn't think the Gas X will help or hurt him.  Has
anyone given it to their dog everyday?  I think this is what I am going
to do now along with his Pepcid AC.
Our doctor, this morning, gave us a website to research bloat and it has
been very helpful.  We are now thinking because of these two near misses
Radar needs to have the surgery to tack his stomach.  Those of you that
are familiar and/or have experience with this surgery we would
appreciate any information that you can send our way.  Anything and
everything will be helpful.  We are especially concerned with the
recovery process and how long it takes to fully recover.  We read that
this surgery is the best option, lowering the recurrence of Bloat to 6 %
from something like 70% without the surgery.
I am very worried and scared for him right now.  He goes for a complete
blood panel on Monday and we will then discuss this surgery with the
doctor.  I will rush him to emergency if this happens again, but hope
and pray that it does not.
Please know that we appreciate any and all information that you guys can
send to us.
Thank you,
Cheryl