[Dailydrool] Consuelo

icerchiaro icerchiaro at uol.com.br
Sun Oct 31 15:25:00 PDT 2010

I have been behind my dailydrool reading for the last 3-4 weeks. Only today I finished reading all postings. I don't know what came over me but, since Bertrand started going blind, I have been thinking about getting a new basset hound. As in Brazil we don't have basset rescues, I was waiting for either a friend to produce one (which I had an offer but it never came through) or an ex-student (I'm an university professor) who have a pair to give me one (in lieu of a passing grade...). Well, nothing happened on both fronts for more than a year. About 2 months ago, a young couple (less than 30 years old) showed up at the dog park that Bertrand loves to go offering a litter! They have a female (called Docinho - "Sweetie") which was really sweet in temper and they had her mated to a 2 years old called Esperto - "Smartie". Docinho produced 9 puppies!!! Unfortunately, 3 died on the next 24 hours due to respiratory problems. A 4th died from the mother sleeping over the poor baby. Only
  one was a male, all other 8 were females.

As we were the first ones to get interested in buying one of them, we had first choice (after Esperto's owners, of course). So we finally chose our Consuelo (let me explain that I am going through the alphabet, my first dog was a beagle named Allan, now I have Bertrand, so next, letter C, that's why it's Consuelo - next one is going to be either Diderot - male or Docinho - female). Bertrand is still adjusting to his new baby sister which arrived at our apartment almost a month ago. She is very sweet and she just ADORES Bertrand (you can see the way she looks at him). I placed a picture of her in my facebook (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=myuploads).

Now the "funny" stuff. The day I got her, I took her to the vet. Since Bertrand is so full of diseases, I though it would be best to check her out first (nothing would change, but wanted to know what to expect). The vet gave her a clean bill of health and declared that the was lovely (of course! Why not?). And then I said to him: how long until I can have her spayed? He gave out a sound of relief: Good! You don't know how many owners aren't willing to spay/neuter!

Next on line of business (I know I am extending myself), my sweet Swiss neighbor asked DH if, since Bertrand is going blind, we got Consuelo and was going to put him to sleep!!! What can we say about people's way of saying things?! DH was astounded, said that Consuelo was bought to keep Bertrand company, not to substitute him, that dogs can live a happy live blind and if he went deaf if he was going to commit suicide! Point for DH. Never loved him more, I think.

Well, after the initial weeks of settling in and becoming used to mopping pee (which I haven't had to do since the beagle almost 30 years ago!), I think I'm surviving.

Bye,
Isabel, Bertrand and now Consuelo