[Dailydrool] Constant Scratching: I am at my wit's end! Help!

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Sun Oct 3 17:08:55 PDT 2010

I've just about gotten my boy Henry back to normal.. I was trying the
"healthy weight" version of Kirkland's premium dry food . two of my boys
(Franklin & Riley) showed no ill effects,  but Henry.. more and more red
appeared on his bottom side . and then he was itching and biting all the
time . it got so bad that he'd licked and bitten the hair off the front
portion of his back legs and paws.. 4 weeks after being back on Kirklands'
Premium Lamb & Rice formula, Henry doesn't itch any more, and his hair is
almost completely grown back in..

So.. I've had enough anecdotal evidence that the food was the cause.. it's
the only thing that was changed before the problems started, and it's the
only thing that's been changed to get him back to normal..

However . having a hound in Stage 1 kidney failure/disease . means you've a
tough time trying to find the right foods that are healthy for him and won't
add to the kidney problems..  But I would still look at it.. try and figure
out when he showed his least symptoms for a while and try that diet again..
and of course it could take 2 to 6 weeks for a positive (or other) result to
show.

Good Luck!!

-Robert

Subject: [Dailydrool] Constant Scratching: I am at my wit's end! Help!

we put him on a hypoallergenic diet, no other signs of pests.  He scratches
his rib cage with his rear feet, then licks his paws, and chews at the root
of his tail.