[Dailydrool] Beware of mushrooms

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Tue Oct 5 06:11:02 PDT 2010

With one dog vomiting blood, I remembered that last year my MIL's Pitbull having a similar problem. We finally figured out that it was MUSHROOMS growing in the yard.  Sweet Shadow had blisters all throughout her gastrointestinal tract, and they almost lost her.  Now they police the yard and pluck out the offending fungus before the dog can get to it.  As it is time for rain, I have noticed a plethora of Puffballs, which are edible, but if the conditions are right for them, then they are right for other mushrooms too.  It is possible that no neighbor has done anything evil to the dogs, it could be just the dogs doing something foolish to themselves.  Happily, the solution to noxious mushrooms is simple vigilance.  Do a really good yard patrol every couple of days and check for shrooms.  Of course, I would also ask my neighbors in case something innocent caused the problem.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!