[Dailydrool] hair loss in hound; Mazzie update

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:22:08 PDT 2010

Today, as I sat with Harvey on my lap, I noticed that the hair down the
sides of his body is getting thin.  He has had an issue when first got him
last June 09 with some hair loss on top of his head and ears. That has grown
in.  Next we saw some hair loss under his collar and down his neck.  That
has gotten thicker, but not normal. I always thought it was the typical
playing too hard, puppy, rubbing around on things. You see, Harvey is a so
called mini doxie, only his weight FAR exceeds the standard. Harvey has a
weight issue which I brought up to the vet this summer. Harvey is almost 17
pounds. Harvey is not fed alot. He gets less than 1/2 cup of food twice a
day (it is below the level line). Our other two doxies get more than that
and they are not heavy at all. Doc stated earlier this summer that it must
be his metabolism. I know doxies can get alopecia, but I'm wondering, does
this sound like a thyroid issue to any of you with experience? He has no
tummy upset, plays fine (not listless), not drinking excessively, not
urinating excessively, on no meds besides revolution once a month for fleas
and heartworm prevention, eats Iams in the green bag. I'm wondering if I
should switch his food to something "better" for his skin. Feel free to
email me off post since this is not basset related but basset brother
related.

Basset related--Maggie and Mazzie can't eat alot of different foods so that
is why I feed the Iams. First, I have 5 dogs, plus Mazzie can't have lamb as
it upsets her belly and she gets flaky skin on some food. Maggie could not
tolerate the better food like Dick Van Patton, The one we tried that starts
with a "C" (forgot), and a few others. I believe Oliver, 3 year old doxie,
even had some hair loss at one point, but that was from shaking his ears
together and we ordered snoods from a drooler to benefit basset rescue
though and it solved that issue.

Mazzie is still on the prozac. We have seen more tail wagging. Not as much
snipping at the little dogs. We have tried her without a dog diaper for 4
days in a row now at night. Can't find any wet spots, but I swear I smell
urine somewhere. So, possibly no wetting at night now. The side effect I
don't like though is she has turned into a snore hound. She will sleep
through alot. She literally snores and snores from the recliner and the dogs
will bark and run around and she doesn't move. She is 8 years old and never
was like this before the meds. I guess it is better than the alternative
then a grouch who tried to bite, snap at the little dogs and urinate all
over the place every night. We'll see how it continues for the full affect
after one months of meds are down.
--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,