[Dailydrool] Flying with a Basset

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Fri Oct 29 20:52:47 PDT 2010

At 20:26 10/29/2010, you wrote:

>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:27:08 -0400
>From: Kelly Anderson <kaanders3 at gmail.com>
>To: dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
>Subject: [Dailydrool] flying with a basset
>
>Hi all,
>
>I'm moving from the U.S. to Germany approximately a year from now with
>my 8ish-year-old basset. He's too large to fly with me in the cabin,
>so he'll have to fly as checked baggage--not a happy prospect for
>either of us. Does anyone have experience transporting large dogs on
>long flights? I would love to hear others' experiences, good or bad,
>and any pieces of advice. Please feel free to reply to me off list.
>Thank you very much!
>
>Sending lots of heart-healing, hurt-healing
>drool for everyone who could use it,
>Kelly and Otis (more the armchair-traveler type)
>

>------------------------------

I have forwarded your note to my son who is in
the Army and spent two overseas tours in Germany.

He flew the lovely Miss Daisy over both times.

Thru the '80s and '90s, we flew with our bassets
from New Orleans to Burlington, Vt., round trip
each summer to spend at our cottage on a lake up
there.  We gave the girls a tranquilizer, don't
remember what it was, but it make the inner eye
lids almost close.  The girls had no problems at
all.  Now I don't believe they will take them if
the temperature along the way is going to be over 85°.

Tommy in Baton Rouge