[Dailydrool] Nelly

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 13:24:46 PDT 2010

Linda, as the official mop queen to Elder Clara, I felt compelled to respond to your post of poor Nelly peeing in the house. I do understand that there are differences here, but I still ride the mop, shampoo the carpets and scoop the poop.  Perhaps there is some help with Nelly, if she has a incontinence issue the vet might be able to give her some meds that will help. They do make them. Maybe if you gate her in a smaller area and watch for what triggers her to pee on the floor.  Regular schedules of outside time might help too. They also sell doggie diapers and pads that might be helpful here. It all depends on the level of commitment. It seems to me that since she cowers and hides after she pees that she knows she is going to get into trouble, but it also seems to me that dogs can do the darndest things just for attention. Basset behavior can be trying, but when you get to the real root of the problem, it can also be simple to fix. Does she poop in the house or only pee??? This could be a very important question to decide if it is medical or other.
Sadly as I read your post it almost seems that your decision has been made and that breaks my heart for Nelly.  Any dog will go thru this as they age also, and we don't have the expensive rugs and such that you do,---there was a commercial on TV just this morning on a company that cleans and restores them--might be worth a check in your area--but no matter what, the love that my hounds give me is worth anything we have, and we have worked our tailbones off for it over the years like yourself. When Elder Clara pees yet again, I clean it up and keep on going--heck in a few years it could be me with the issue-but she knows this is her home and she will go nowhere, neither will any of the rest, or those yet to come. Thats just me.
I wish I had more advice, or a 12 step program of success, but I don't. The only thing I do have is a love for the dog, and one hell of a good mop.
I only ask that you do not make a decision in a moment of anger, Nelly has been there a long time, and deserves more.

Thats my penny's worth--and no flames intended.

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake