[Dailydrool] PUPPIES

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 01:46:46 PDT 2010

I am going to suggest that NO ONE VISIT NEWBORN PUPPIES until they are at
LEAST 10 to 14 days old. Puppies under this age should be kept away from all
other dogs that do not belong to the immediate household and whose
vaccination history is not known and who have  been to shows, training, done
therapy work, field work, or anything else.
Visitors after this time until the puppies are vaccinated should be prepared
to leave shoes outside the puppy room wash hands first and not have brought
their dogs,kids, and friends with them.
There is nothing quite as heartbreaking as watching your litter die of
Parvo, one at a time...
Now, with more and more people not vaccinating and not understanding about
the issue, we are also seeing an upswing in distemper, at least in this
area.  Socialization can wait until the puppies have had their first shots,
as long as they are not truly isolated from the family, and have people
picking them up and playing with them.
I have visited litters when they were very young but I practically wash with
bleach before I enter the puppy room. BLEACH IS YOUR FRIEND if you have
puppies.

MomPerson to Llewis and Nigel, whom I bred, Conley and Cooper