[Dailydrool] Vomiting & fleas

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 07:55:31 PDT 2010

We have found that a couple of the Houndettes tend to vomit in the morning
if they don't get a little treat just before they go to bed. I think that
it's just too long from their evening meal at 6 PM to breakfast between 7
and 8 AM because, if there is any substance to the vomit, it's just bile. We
don't give them anything big, just a couple of small cookies at bedtime. It
seems to hold them till they have their breakfast the next day.

We have tried a number of flea products. We used to use Frontline but our
vet doesn't even carry it any longer because it hasn't been effective in
this area. We started trying out some of the over the counter products and
all I can say is beware. Jersey and Ginger both had bad reactions to the OTC
Sergeant's product. We ended up taking Jersey to the vet and he was really
shocked that she had such a bad time with an OTC product. Then Ginger did
the same thing. At least we knew what was happening and dumped her in the
tub and got most of the medication off her before she got as sick as Jersey
did. We have recently been using BioSpot and have had pretty good luck with
that (I have no affiliation with the company). I'm one of those lucky people
who get bit by fleas when we have them and I haven't had any bites since
we've started using it so I've been real happy with it. It's supposed to be
a more nature friendly product but I'm like a number of other people. I
don't do bugs and will use whatever is available as long as it's nontoxic to
get rid of them.

Suzy and Shadow were both flea infested when they came to us. What a mess
these poor pooches were! Suzy was terrified of water and I had to sit on the
ground and hold her while the DH poured water on her and tried to deflea
her. We all got defleaed that time! The young woman who had her said she had
been giving her Capstar but just couldn't get rid of the fleas. Capstar only
works for about 24 hours and only takes care of the live fleas, not the
eggs. Apparently she never read the directions or used any kind of long term
flea product because this poor puppy was a mess. Shadow is so timid that she
was just too scared to fight with us over the bath. She was so infested that
it probably felt good to her but it took a while to get them both so they
were flealess. I think it was right around then that we found out one of our
old cats is allergic to fleas. It was NOT a fun time! My best advise is to
get a product from your vet and bomb your house if you have a bad
infestation going on. They have fogging products that permeate the whole
house and work very well. It's a tremendous amount of work before and after
you use it because you really have to make sure all food stuff is tightly
closed and protected. You also have to leave the house for several hours so
if you have a number of pets like we do it's kind of a pain. Afterwards I
may have gone a little overboard but we washed all the dishes, stripped all
the beds and just made sure anything that would potentially get near people
faces or pets faces was washed. It was worth it though because it was a
permanent fix.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger