[Dailydrool] How to end a walk without a fight?

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 07:32:29 PDT 2010

I've never seen this topic discussed, so maybe I'm the only one who has this problem, but I'm at my wits end!  Every morning when I take Fred and Annie for a walk, the closer we get to home, the more they start to resist (stop walking, walk the other direction, lie down.)  Fred is pretty easy to get to follow along, but Annie is SO stubborn and SO strong, that it ends up being a battle of wills and strength.  I ultimately win, but not after I have to pull her using all of my weight (looking like a total fool in the process) and get annoyed.  I can often be heard yelling, "Annie, let's GO!" as I lean forward to drag her along.  What should be an enjoyable, relaxing part of our morning (and of the limited time we have together during the day) has turned into something I totally dread.  It doesn't really seem to matter how long I walk them, but I work full-time, and don't have the luxury of wandering the neighborhood for an hour.  Annie is not an active dog, so I know that this is the only real exercise she gets, and it breaks my heart that I can't stay outside with her all day.  But I have things I need to do before I go to work in the morning, so it is what it is.

I hate getting angry with her, because she has finally learned to trust me, and I would never want to break that trust.  I don't like raising my voice and pulling her (although it doesn't seem to faze her in the least, which is frustrating too!)  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rose, Annie (Mom, chill out) and Fred (can't we all just get along??)