[Dailydrool] Miss Angela and the Dog Door

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Thu Sep 2 16:32:12 PDT 2010

Bill,

When I have new fosters who aren't used to the dog door, I tape up the flap with good
old duct tape, so it just remains open. Call them to come through. Go back inside the house, call them in. After a few minutes of this (so they realize they really can get through the opening) put the flap down and be on one side with a really high value treat. Chicken or
string cheese stick pieces work for me. If they are nervous about coming through the
door, you just open it a bit with your hand and lead them through with the goodie.
I haven't had a foster yet who didn't catch on to the doggie door in less than an hour.
Although I did have one that for about 3 days would just stand on the other side until
I begged him to come through and praised him highly. I think he had my number.
Marilyn Briggs

Marilyn Briggs