[Dailydrool] Cancer surgery at 14

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:18:24 PDT 2010

Dear Brenda - I hate to say it or post it - but as a slave to an almost 16 year old who has had several butt surgeries since he turned 10 - I am not sure I would have put Charles through it at 14.  Charles' butt lumps were peri-anal adenomas - both of them 2 years apart - he had one surgery at about 10 and one at age 12.  They were not a lot of fun and either surgery could have rendered him incontinent, we were warned.  I still have an unopened package of doggy diapers I feared he would wear for the rest of his life.  It took him a number of months to recover from the surgeries and I know he was uncomfortable.

I would support you in the decision to not have the surgery should your vet suggest that alternative.  A very personal decision - but I feel like it might be better to have his last months with you not be involved with a surgical recovery which is a difficult one with surgery in that area.

So sorry about the diagnosis and sorrier about my opinion.  But this is why we post these things - right?   To get support and advice.

Lots of Love and Drool headed your way.

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , BASSETKU , RESKU and  HORSEKU!