[Dailydrool] This and that...

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 15:54:02 PDT 2010

 First of all, heart-healing drool to those who have lost their furbabies.  So very, very hard, but especially so for those who have loved on their hounds for years.  Hugs to you all.  Sigh...

Healing drool to those whose houndies who have received a potentially life-threatening diagnosis.  May you have the strength to make whatever treatment decision which needs to be made,  May their remaining days be as pain-free and filled with quality time as possible.

Regarding peeing in the house: Personally speaking, it was a HUGE transition for us to leave our home with it's doggy door and large fenced yard.  No need to "tell" us they needed to go, just stroll out the door and into the yard. Daisy was crate trained as well as pee-on-command trained from the moment we brought her home. Delilah was house-trained when we got her but did ask to go out as well.  Dozer and Dudley never knew our home without a dog door.  So, moving to a smaller home with NO yard and just a small deck on which to survey the woods behind our townhouse has been difficult - on all of us.  The houndage spend the night in the garage, three in crates and one on a comfy bed.  Right there, this is a big change from sleeping in our bedroom with us like the pack animals they are.  We discovered no matter how diligent we were in getting them out quickly, someone chose to use the upstairs carpet instead of waiting to go out.  NOT an option!

During the day they are gated on the first floor where we have hardwood or tile floors.  We have a regular walkie schedule with a three-block circuit with lots of grass and good smells to entice them to go.  Dozer and Daisy and very good; they pee almost immediately and usually poop quite quickly as well.  Delilah is a stroller; she likes to sniff and meander first.  She also doesn't have a dependable poop schedule like the others no matter how hard I have worked to discover some sort of trend to her going.  Dudley is mostly good but has his moments when he could care less.  We use lavish praise and treats for "business" well and appropriately done.  It's NOT, however, foolproof.

Despite our best efforts at assuring that they are walked regularly and long enough, sometimes we clean up pee.  I'd LOVE to have a rug in the dining room under the dining table and another under the couch and coffee table and maybe a runner in the hall - but I'm not subjecting myself to the angst I would suffer over the "accidents" which would inevitably happen.  Instead I have a small, washable rug in front of the front door, one in the powder room and one in front of the kitchen sink that I can quickly pick up and toss in the washing machine.

I don't enjoy cleaning up after them - in fact, sometimes I want to throttle them, especially when, after just being outside, someone decides it's easier/more convenient/more to their liking to immediately pee once over the threshold upon returning.  Unfortunately, it is what it is.  Like others have suggested, I would definitely rule out physical ailments such as UTI, stress or spay incontinence, etc. and definitely discuss medication with your vet as an option - seems to have been very successful for many Droolers and their hounds.  Just MHO...for what it's worth.

Debbie - SO glad to read that Earl bypassed your area.  As always, I love your posts about your crew, especially Elder Clara.

Michele - The love letters are a hoot!  Keep 'em coming!

Cnly - Good work in keeping your property free of "mausers"...a dirty job but somehound must do it.   Please tell Mr. Cooper, sir, we send feel better drool for his poor tummy.

Had minor foot surgery today - repair of a "hammertoe" - the houndage shows great curiosity but I was told specifically "don't let your pets lick your foot" as if they would, LOLOL!  Although it is scheduled to be moved and mounted over the fireplace in the living room, right now our only TV is located in the office/spare room - along with the computer.  So, I sit with foot propped, listening to a great deal of howling at not being able to check on Mama.  Gotta love 'em.

Sandi, Mamaslave of the NJ 4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley