[Dailydrool] Tapeworm Question

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 16:43:19 PDT 2010

If you have lots of dogs and cats and live in flea heaven (Texas), you learn
some interesting but icky things -- for instance, some 4-leggers get
tapeworms very easily, and some never get them at all.  My Vets have
confirmed this, some pets are prone to getting tapeworms.  Out of the many
dogs and cats I've had, there were two cats that were especially bad about
getting tapeworm, even in the dead of winter they always had tapeworms, you
simply could not keep them tapeworm free.  It was so bad that any time one
of these two went to the Vet we automatically did a tapeworm shot.  (Yes the
Vet would check, and yes they always did have tapeworm.)  We finally got
this under control when today's flea and tick products that actually work
became available, once we started using Advantage and Frontline and
Frontline Plus we have had no more problems.  I would use a high-quality
flea and tick control, and if needed spray the yard and bomb the house.  If
you bomb be sure the product your use has Permethrin as the active
ingredient, it interrupts the flea life cycle, so the eggs the little
nasties have laid in your carpets will not mature.  And realize that some of
your dogs may get tapeworms from the fleas and others may not.  Gotta go
now, the tornado sirens are going off again and getting closer.  We gets lot
of these varmints, too.

Anita Woodrum
a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net