[Dailydrool] Tapeworm Question

Wendie Prince houndsabound at att.net
Wed Sep 8 14:08:17 PDT 2010

There are several items you can get for your pet that are actually listed
under Bird or Fish antibiotics.   Because they are labeled for fish or
birds, you do not need a prescription to get them.  Cephalexin and
doxycycline are 2 I can think of.  If you get these,  please always consult
a vet before making a decision to put your pet on any antibiotic.

This is a link to a company I use down here in FLA for meds.  You might find
them useful for you.
http://www.anicareinc.com/wormers.htm

You can get "Fish Tapes"   which has 34mg of  praziquantel in each capsule.

I also have a bottle of D-Worm, which is the exact same thing, except for
cats and dogs and in tablet form.  I kept the bottle as it has the dosage on
there.
I will list them here for anyone who get the Fish Tape product,  as the Fish
Tape bottle, since it is for fish, comes in a capsule and does not have any
dosage direction for hairy pets.

5 lbs and under   .5 capsule/tablet (you would have to somehow split the
capsule)
6-10 lbs  1 capsule
11-15lbs     1.5 capsule
16-30lbs  2 capsules
31-45 lbs    3 capsules
46-60 lbs    4 capsules
Over 60lbs   5 capsules MAX

I also use a yard sprayer that you attach to your garden hose and put blue
Dawn dish liquid in it, and spray our yard periodically.  It kills the
fleas, believe it or not and does not kill the grass.
You can test this by getting some,  fill a glass with water,  put one or two
drops in the water, stir with your finger and drop a flea into it.  They
sink right to the bottom. I heard this, and I could be wrong, since they
have an exo-skeleton, so they breathe through their skin, and since it coats
them, they cannot breathe and so, they die.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org