[Dailydrool] Jumping at table or counter

njmedic702 at aol.com njmedic702 at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 13:28:13 PDT 2010

 Maureen, I'm sure other, more experienced Droolers will have some ideas for you but I would not use the word down to discourage his jumping.  I've been told to use OFF whenever and wherever any of mine jump up.  I don't use that word any other time so they KNOW it means to get off whatever it is that they are jumping at/upon.  Down can be confusing as it is supposed to be the word to put a dog into a lie-down position.

If he persists with this behavior, the other option is to remove him from the area and crate or confine him elsewhere while eating or preparing food.  No one enjoys being jumped upon, begged from or drooled on while eating, least of all guests or other less indulgent/forgiving family members.  We are working on training our crew to know that if they sit quietly they will most likely get a meal treat such as pizza "bones" or leftover bits in their food bowls.  It takes time, commitment, consistency and patience.

Good luck,
Sandi, Mamaslave to the NJ 4
Daisy, Delilah, Dozer and Dudley