[Dailydrool] Jumping at table or counter

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 13:52:35 PDT 2010

You guys don't like jumping bassets?  Bummer!  We actually encourage ours to jump, but only in the right circumstances.  It is a total pain when they jump and knock you down or go for a table or something.

What I do is practice sits, downs, go to dog bed or crate, and stays.

Prior to food being consumed or people coming into the home, if the dog will go to a crate or dog bed and lie down and stay there, you won't see jumping because they are down on a bed or in a crate comfortable with a chewer.  Most dogs will soon learn than when dinner is served or the doorbell rings, to run to their down stay position~

Harry's down stay position is on a sofa where he gets a treat thrown for duration.  But we had to practice the tossing of treats to get it in the right spot so he woudn't need to move.

You can also leash the dog and ask them nicely to sit for which they are rewarded, and then ask the visitor to approach and also offer a treat and petting, if they like petting... if they are sitting.

Reinforcing the behavior you want will always go much further than punishing the behavior you don't~

Best*

Sara