[Dailydrool] Update on Nellybelly

Linda Dianis ldianis at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 20:50:25 PDT 2010

Many droolers wrote to me with suggestions about Nelly's peeing in the
house, and I thank you all for the time and effort you have made to
help. I really appreciate it.

After a long phone chat with our excellent vet, we took Nelly back
today for a bunch more tests. Nelly has no UTI, no infections at all,
no indications of anything painful, etc. She has no urinary
incontinence--spay, age-related or otherwise. She knows how to hold
her pee, does not dribble, so the DES/Prion approach would not help.
Many other evil things have also been (thankfully) ruled out. Her
kidney function numbers are very healthy. The results are way too
detailed for me to repeat here, or even remember right.
The theories at the moment are (1)VERY early stage diabetes insipidus
with not much showing on tests yet, or (2)---more likely--behavioral
polydipsia, which means she is over-hydrating. In other words, she
drinks to excess, then when her bladder fills up, she has to pee out
some (but not all, accounting for our small piddle puddles) to relieve
the pressure. This she does do, and always looks horribly guilty; she
knows it is not good. When this overdrinking happens chronically, it
affects the kidneys' ability to concentrate the urine (to keep it in
until it is time to pee). Because Nelly does have several related
behavioral weirdnesses (fixations, etc.), we think she may be doing
this. We will do behavioral things for 3 weeks to control water
intake, to see if we can get her kidneys back to normal concentrating.

Stay tuned and send drool! Obviously, we are not giving up on her.

Linda, with Otis and Nellybelly