[Dailydrool] basset jumping, iron gut, Mazzie

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:06:32 PDT 2010

We had a foster that would jump up before on our person. We would do the hip
bump where you bump your hip toward the dog and turn out. This will dislodge
the basset down to the ground. We have personally taught our 3 mini doxies
and 2 bassets the words "out of the kitchen" and when they hear those words
they leave the kitchen area. This is when it is time for the humans to sit
down to eat. We have actually had a foster jump up and steal food from my
son's plate while we were eating before. When we used to foster, we would
put up a doggie gate the first night or two while we ate. If they whined at
the gate we would tell them to go get their toys. Then we would progress on
to taking down the gate and leaving the crate door open in the living room
giving them a treat and a toy in their crate. If they came into the kitchen
we would say "out of the kitchen" and walk them back into the living room.
We sure had some stubborn fosters, but others that just didn't even come
back in the room. We never left food out on the counters or table. The kids
did leave snacks on the kitchen table before and I don't remember if it was
one of my own or a foster that ate the food, but I remember my son crying
about it. I told him that he just learned a lesson not to leave food laying
around. (I am not a behaviorist, trainer, etc, just what worked for us).

Now, Maggie (almost 11) has us trained. We have to pick up the garbage
before we leave. If not ol' iron gut will get into it and knock it over. She
has eaten corn on the cob, chicken bones, etc. Stuff that should have caused
ill effects, but hasn't. We gave her a piece of bread each time after we
find her in the trash. Problem is she shares it with Oliver--the 3 year old
doxie (all others are crated or in x pen).

I have heard from 2 or 3 droolers about Mazzie off post. No one else has any
ideas? I/we seriously want to help her, but dont' want to run the whole
gammit of testing on her again. We want to go in to the vets with somethg in
mind. I would think someone out there would have had a basset with spinal
fusion that was incontinent at night before. Anyone?

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,