[Dailydrool] Essay on pet animals

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Wed Sep 15 06:46:11 PDT 2010

  Animals: People are just wired differently. Some love the great
outdoors -- hunting, camping, hiking, etc., some people find it boring
or even horrendous. Some love to read, others hate it and see no point.
Many people have no regard for animals -- some would not be unkind, but
have no particular feelings for them, others are downright thoughtless
and cruel.

Caring about animals probably starts in childhood. For some, not for
others -- who knows why?

I "love" my dogs -- some more than others -- just like parents who love
one child more than another (though they never admit it). I can't
imagine having an "outside-only" dog -- why bother? I like being greeted
joyously every time I come in the door -- EVERY time, whether I've been
gone 5 minutes or 5 hours or 5 days. I like the special ones who follow
me around the house and lie beside my chair wherever I happen to be. I
cry buckets when they die, and remember and miss special ones who've
been gone for 10, 20 or 30 years or more. Maybe I love them partly
because I know they love me. And depend on me. Fortunately, I feel they
give me comfort and calmness and company, which balances what I give
them in the form of food and housing and attention. I could be happy
with just one dog, although two are more fun for me and company for each
other when I'm not around. Twelve is too many, but is what happens
sometimes when we can't say no to one in dire need. And then another
one. What difference will one more make, we ask, until finally the
answer is a lot -- so no more. So far.

P.S. Well, make that 14 instead of 12 with the addition of two
fosters... which we won't keep, I hope, but they are SO sweet and needy.
One was a starved 8-week-old, the other dragging a broken leg. But we
said "No more!" and we mean it, too. I think.

Riche Churchill, BUGLER