[Dailydrool] Pet expo, stuff, a bit long, sorry

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:07:36 PDT 2010

I had a great day today.  First went to see Mom at Assisted Living, and they were having a craft fair and mini walk in support of Alzheimer's disease.  I got Mom a Mr. Softy ice cream cone, and on my way out, I bought two hot dogs because I knew my next stop was a Pet Expo in a local park, and I was going to meet up with Auntie Walli and her Annie.  Since I had two events planned, I went houndless, as it would have been too much.
The event was really fun.   I am really bad with names (human), but there was a lady with two Goldens, Eddie and Henry with whom she did dance routines.  The first was whimsical and fun, but the second had me in tears, mostly because of the song choice, very emotional, and the dance was very elegant and detailed.  As we wandered about, we saw a dog up for adoption that both Walli and I wanted but for obvious reasons couldn't really think too seriously about it.  She was a beautiful 3-5 year old coonhound/pointer mix, obviously bred, a huge tear in one ear, but so sweet, so mellow, so grateful.  She was in a high kill shelter in one of the Carolina's, and the man in charge of the "DEED", just couldn't do it to her, and he got her into rescue, on the very day it was supposed to be her last.  Her name is Wilma.  Walli and I tried to brainstorm, who can we get to take this dog, but her savior appeared, a lovely man, whose motto is "I want the dogs no one else does".  He had two with him, one in a carriage because of being 3 legged, and he recently lost his other 3 legged one, so he had a vacancy.  He was really bonding with Wilma (she has 4 legs, as his other dog), and it is only a matter of time, and his wife's permission that he gets her.  He is bringing his wife to the expo tomorrow to try to work it out, and I think I will pay a visit to see if there is a happy ending.  This man is great.  He actually cried for Wilma.
Annie was the only basset at the event that I saw, and after she had her first hot dog, I put the other in my pocket for later on.  While we were watching the dance routine, she decided she was ready, but it was wrapped in napkins.  I wanted to play with her a little so I unwrapped it, and put it back in my pocket, and invited her to grab it.  Bad idea, she almost pulled down my pants. LOL.  She is such a good girl, and Walli is a great Mommy to her.
At the expo, one of the vendors was a rep from Petlane products, and I never heard of them before.  They are an incentive group for pet product at home events, much like a tupperware party.  He had one item that I want to buy outright, but he needed it, but he gave me his catalogue, and I can buy directly on line.  It is a toy that is also a glove up the arm so when you have a teething or nippy dog, you can play with protection.  This will be great for Pierre jr., so I am ordering two, one for each arm.  They also have a dental solution to put in water that is supposed to degrade tarter.  I will do more research on this, but if it works, how wonderful.  My biggest lapse in caring for these hounds is brushing their teeth.  I was religious about it until Mom started thinking I was torturing them, and she berated me, but that was her disease.
Anyway, here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.petlanehome.com/pet-store-2-2.html

Then the day got a little scary, but it all turned out OK.  My sister is quick to panic, and she was freaking out, as the gardeners at the house next door to us cut a gas line somehow.  We had cops, firemen, National grid and a major road blocked because of it.  My sister's fear was that they were going to demand evacuation, and I told her if so, go, but I am staying with the hounds no matter what.  Where on a Sat. night could I last minute board 8 bassets?   And the firetruck was blocking our driveway.  It was a tense 2 1/2 hours, and we finally decided to quietly let the dogs in the backyard that we were keeping them out of because we did a major reseeding.   Right after they all came in, (we have been leash walking everyone till the lawn sets, but we couldn't bring them out to leash walk because of the gas line chaos) the trucks went away, and we feel safe again.  I don't think the hounds hurt the lawn treatment too much, and what is most important is they got to toilet, and all is well.
Healing drool to all in  need,
Jackie and the herd