[Dailydrool] Blessing of the Animals

don/jan cook tudor2 at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 19 14:02:22 PDT 2010

Took Stuart (the Basset) and Duncan (the Bldhnd) and Rufus (the
Wheaton we somehow ended up with......... a long story) to a Blessing
of the Animals today in a United Church.
I have been to a couple, they have always been outside. This one,
because it is downtown, was inside.
There was no way the Bldhnd would go into a narrow pew, except to
climb on the seat, so they suggested we go to the front. I had an old
nursing classmate with me so she had Rufus. So there we were, right
smack in front of the minister............ couldn't catch a
wink............ the dogs did, finally!
During some of the singing, Stuart added to it by barking in just the
right spot.... such a clever dog. Duncan whined a bit, but never
really howled.
There was a puppy near us that the owner kept feeding to keep it
still, so the hounds zoned in on that. Both drooling. Luckily I
remembered to bring a drool rag to keep them moped up.
Each animal got blessed individually by name, by the minister. There
was one rabbit (luckily the hounds didn't see it) and 5 or 6
cats( Stuart perked right up when he heard them yowling), and about 10
dogs.
A nice service, but doubt it will turn the crew into angels!
Jan