[Dailydrool] Call to arms for PBF

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Wed Sep 22 02:57:33 PDT 2010

Calling all PBF member. Clearly this is urgent.  This is a genuine letter, written to a newspaper I am editing at the moment:

Having seen the recent publicity over the rogue swan on the river chelmer, I felt the need to make public a unlikely menace that resides in leafy Danbury.
Gay Lane is a route I often take, from my home to the Maldon road. It's a pleasant walk - or was until recently.
For the past four months I have been terrorised by a common grey squirrel.
This may sound funny, but the reality is something quiet different.
Back in late May, I was strolling along when a hissing nose came from overhead. I glanced up and saw it was coming from a squirrel, that was staring down at me.
I thought it was a little odd and continued my walk. It jumped from tree-to-tree continuing to make this disconcerting noise.
This happened several times over the days and weeks until around mid June, when it jumped at me and left nasty gash on my arm. It still continued to attack, even at ground level.
I couldn't believe what had happened.
My wife jokingly suggested taking some peanuts to try to befriend the little terror. To my surprise this seemed to work -  until the packets were empty.
Although this story may seem humorous I was a victim of bullying at school and never thought in my early forties I would be the target again - especially by a rodent.
I have spoken to a few local residents who have had similar experiences with this animal and their solution is to walk down Mill Lane and The Avenue alternative.
I don't see why I should have my route dictated by this little pest.
I have  managed to take a photo of the squirrel and hope something can be done, as next time it could be a young child on the receiving end of this nasty rodent.