[Dailydrool] Lyme vaccine

Courtney Willard courtney_willard at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:50:55 PDT 2010

I strongly encourage you to get your dog vaccinated for Lyme disease. The reason being, that even if a vet says they haven't seen cases of Lyme disease, it's likely because they're not checking. I live in western NY and know that the Lyme vaccine is not heavily pushed because many vets don't think it's a problem. When one area vet conglomerate actually went ahead and tested dogs that came in, they found numerous dogs that tested positive for Lyme.

The symptoms for Lyme disease can be mild, with a dog limping for a few days and then it goes away. So maybe you don't even take the dog to the vet or maybe you get some pain meds and that's it. In some rare cases Lyme disease can cause kidney failure and even neurological disease. I personally wouldn't want to take the chance that my dog is that one dog that develops neurological issues and has to be put down. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Courtney Bishop