[Dailydrool] A plea for basset placement help

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Fri Sep 24 11:03:00 PDT 2010

  We are accepting a job Near Richmond VA.  That's a 24 hour straight
drive, no puppy potty breaks, 1400 miles from here.  As it stands I
don't have a running vehicle once hubby starts the job out there.  I can
barely pay vet bills right now.  We stand losing a chunk of change
selling this house because we are going to have to sell it at a loss due
to the crappy economy.  From what we know at this time we are going to
have to rent, we will not be able to buy again for a long while.
[b]I have to get Sally and Schroeder placed immediately.[/b]  Kelvin and
Gus are going to stay with my mom in Richmond for a few months so that
we can look more appealing to prospective places with just 2 dogs if we
can't find a small farm to rent.  Trust me, we are going to find a farm
to rent if it kills me.  Not going to tell them how many cats, never do,
never had a problem.
Sally and Schroeder deserve a better place than here, they deserve more
attention that I can give them with so many others I have to tend to
that have serious medical issues.  They are great bassets, but they have
always been fosters to us.

S and S's info:
Sally and Schroeder are a senior pair of bassets looking for a
retirement home.  Schroeder is 10 and Sally is 9.  They have been in
this rescue for 2 years now (since 7/12/2008), have survived heartworm
treatment and a failed adoption.  Both have plenty of life and love left
to give but they would like to give it to you together.  Both are fairly
active though they really do like that couch when they can get to it.
Sally is so soft and cuddly and Schroeder loves to sleep right on top of
your feet.  Both are fairly well behaved though specific commands are a
little lacking, they know a few things but Sally doesn't sit on
command.  They both know out, off, leave it, no, enough.  Schroeder
knows wait but doesn't like it, he also knows sit, stay (doesn't like
that one either) and lay down.
Sally is blind from glaucoma, but you'd never know it once she learns
your house/yard and needs a buddy at all times.  Schroeder has NOT met a
food he will not eat and he is a counter surfing, cabinet opening, bag
ripping master.  If it's out he will find a way to get it so you'll need
to be on your toes when it comes to food.  A very secure yard is a must,
they like to take unapproved trips down the street!!  Both are great
with cats, we have 7 here with them and have no trouble.  They are also
living with 3 other bassets and a dane mix so they do get along quite
well with other laid back, easy going dogs.  They do not, however,
handle aggressive dogs very well.
Due to her blindness Sally is easily startled and may not do well with
very young children or small dogs or young kittens, but she does love
children.  Schroeder has what we jokingly refer to as 'tunnel vision'
and just barrels his way through whatever to get wherever so toddlers
are not on his ok list, we call him "Tank Hound" for a reason!  He also
has the start of cataracts.
They are currently located in Mason, TX
UTD on all shots, meds.  Both need dentals, I can have them done here
for $100 each if the new owner wants to pay for it, our vet is cheap!

I need help.  Please.

Carmen Kraus