[Dailydrool] Rescues, Puppies and Breeders

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sat Sep 25 20:11:06 PDT 2010

Some may automatically think that the three things in the subject line are
incompatible but this should NOT be the case.  I, as one reputable breeder
who has whelped and raised 15 litters over the past 20 years, work hard to
foster good relationships with rescue organizations and actively support
their efforts - physically, financially and in an advisory capacity whenever
I can be of assistance.  Also, when we get puppy calls, we ALWAYS refer the
callers FIRST to rescue and offer to help them find a rescue puppy if that
is what they are looking for.
Most rescues are not "geared up" for puppies but sometimes find themselves
in the untenable position of having to whelp a litter.  Most times, the
rescue has little to no warning and is unable to have the luxury of planning
for the whelping for 9 weeks like a breeder does.  This usually involves
finding a foster home that is willing to whelp the litter and raise the
puppies.  Foster homes that are willing to whelp and raise a litter are few
and far between, and although they may lack the experience of a reputable
breeder, they certainly have the love and heart to put forth their best
effort.  Whelping and raising a litter is VERY hard work, time consuming and
often times heart breaking.
It behooves all of us to support rescues who accommodate pregnant bassets
that come into their care and raise the litters of bassets and basset mixes
that are thrust upon them.  We can do that by offering them sound, practical
and reasonable suggestions that are easily implemented in most home
environments.   Lend them a whelping box . offer to go help whelp the litter
. lend a puppy scale . be available for phone consultations . cry with them
when a puppy dies . go spend the night so they can get 8 hours of sleep .
walk them through the weaning process . do a couple loads of puppy laundry
for them . go show them how to socialize the puppies . clean out the
whelping box . the list is endless.   Actions (as always) speak louder than
words.
 If you are interested in knowing what truly goes into breeding and whelping
a litter, you can check out the article "Considering Breeding" on the Daily
Drool website (www.dailydrool.com) .

Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets