[Dailydrool] Snoopy at the dog Park (part 3)

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 7 14:53:05 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Well we made it back to the dog park today!!  We haven't been for a couple of
weeks because of Cyrus having a tooth pulled.  Obviously they have to put a 110
lb dog under to do that and he took a while to recover.  The other problem is
that Cyrus is a fetch addict and even if I don't throw anything he will still be
chasing and catching and grabbing all kinds of yucky stuff in his mouth at the
park so we thought to let him rest a while and let the socket they stitched up
heal.  Snoopy was MOST inconvenienced.  Snoopy does not appreciate having
anything cut into his social calendar.  Marathons, medical procedures, school
band performances, religious holidays and most everything else need to be worked
into his calendar by his administrative assistant (somehow this job falls to me)
and failures to coordinate are NOT taken lightly.  Sheesh.  I am NOT his slave
(am I?).  Oh dear .......

Anyway, we went to go to the dog park today and so I got out the ramp and he
turns and looks at me like "well, how about a boost?"  Wait a minute .... my
husband used the ramp in his car and Snoopy ran right up the ramp and sat on the
seat and my husband folded up the ramp and put it in the trunk.  So I told
Snoopy ... go ahead .... well, Cyrus leaped over the top of him and sat down on
the seat and then Cyrus started to whine and Snoopy is still sitting here
looking at me like "well, how about a boost?"  So I picked up my 70 lb Snoopy
using the basset lift and set him on the seat and folded up the ramp and put it
back in the trunk and we went to the park.  Snoopy LOVES the dog park.  He howls
a good bit of the time but he REALLY enjoys it.  He made another friend.  Last
time we were there he offended this little girl dog by getting in her face and
she let him know in NO uncertain terms that he was RUDE and she was having NONE
of it.  Well, he finally calmed down last time and made a different friend and
they played chase.  This time that dog wasn't there but the little girl dog was
and he trotted right up to her and sniffed her behind instead of her befront and
she responsed by sniffing his behind and then .... they played chase.  Snoopy
chased her and when she stopped he stopped and turned away and then she went
after him and he ran and when he stopped she stopped and turned away and then he
went after her ... and back and forth ... just the way dogs are SUPPOSED to
play.  I seriously think I am watching a 5 year old dog learning to play and
take turns.

He has a problem with wolves though.  On the one hand I don't blame him, wolves
have never really been domesticated and here in California it is even illegal to
have them as pets but it doesn't stop anyone.  Snoopy does NOT like wolves.
There is a sweet girl wolf named Roxie who is friends with Cyrus and she's
always at the park and Snoopy REALLY wants NO part of her.  It is kind of
embarrassing because she usually bounces right up to me and Cyrus and Snoopy
will SNARL and his hackles all go up and he just AHROOOOOOOOs frantically and
Cyrus and I are like .... get off it Snoopy, she's sweet but he wants NOTHING to
do with her.  There is another lady with two wolves who lives near the park and
if she hears Snoopy she brings her boys down and keeps them outside the fence to
try to get him used to them but he doesn't seem to be improving with the wolves
.... it looks like he HATES them ... seriously .... and all different colors
(well, they're all mostly white but some are red tipped and some are black
tipped and some are grey tipped) and all different sizes and genders ... his
reaction to wolves is fairly intense and it's very consistant.  Is this a basset
thing?  Or do folks think Snoopy encountered a wolf when he was a stray and it
wasn't pretty?  Advise please??

Thanks for all the tips.  I cannot believe that next week will be 3 months since
we brought our Snoopy home.  In some ways it feels like Snoopy has always been
in our family, and in others it feels like yesterday.

--Dale (momPerson to Cyrus and Snoopy)
Snoopy  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1182550
Cyrus  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1182554