[Dailydrool] A TRUE Lemon

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 18:10:11 PDT 2011

Rather like Blue Bassets, the Lemon basset is even more elusive.
A true Lemon is almost albino.  Yes, the lemon is blonde - so blonde  as to
be lighter than buff.
We have a Lemon currently, her name is Pearl and she is on our website -
she's doing so well she is scheduled for a dental next week!!  I was bred  by
a breeder, grew up outside a show ring, whelped by bassets, have always had
 bassets and am now ruled by a rotating population of 100 daily.  I  myself
have only seen 9 in my lifetime, including our Pearl.

Commonly we are told at surrender that a owner has a "lemon" basset.   We
pretty commonly know this means the following:

Born white, AKC registration was sent in early on litter registration
before the pups color came in.
At the sale (used to be 6 weeks in CA, its now 8 weeks by law - pups should
 NEVER leave this young!! AHHH) when a new owner purchases this pup, AKC
registration is following, it reads Lemon.
To someone who is uneducated, they think this red and white basset, or tan
and white is a lemon, it's not.

I once had to sit in a puppy millers home with an undercover police officer
 by my side, while completing owner surrender agreements for 36 bassets
that she  was "giving us".  As each dog was brought out this person filled out
rabies  certs (yes, illegal), and listed each of these dogs as "Lemons".  In
fact,  these were Mahogany and Whites.  This person had been over breeding
and  selling pups throughout the Antelope Valley, San Bernardino, Riverside
and Los  Angeles for years, and calling them Lemons.  They are not.

Miss Pearls miracle has happened - her last checkup shows a perfect blood
panel, lung X-rays are good, and mammary tumor has not grown - she went into
 heat on me 3 weeks ago!!  Obviously not the train wreck that came into
Daphneyland in December - her recovery is indeed a miracle, and everyone who
donated is responsible for helping her find her miracle.  Pearl's dental
will be performed next week.  Oh, to kiss her face without holding  one's
breath - more than we ever thought would be possible!

Dawn of the West
Temporary slave to a Pearl
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
Join our facebook causes page - 2011 members for  2011!!! Get BaRNi at
Daphneyland updates, help raise funds for bassets to be  rescued!
_www.firstgiving.com/snoopytu_ (http://www.firstgiving.com/snoopytu)
HoeDown  is coming! May 7, 2011!