[Dailydrool] What's the score?

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 11:06:49 PDT 2011

Score:
Belvedere: At least 500
Pam: -1,000 or less

All week I'd planned on giving Belvedere a bath today. When I looked at the weather earlier this week, it was supposed to be really balmy.

This morning, after Bel had breakfast and seemed fully awake, I tossed him into the bathtub and scrubbed him thoroughly. All went as smoothly as a wet-basset event can four a hound who really does not like damp. I lifted him out, dried him off, and let him into the rest of the house. As I followed him out of the bathroom, I noticed that someone, probably Abner, had peed under the dining room table.

As I headed for newspaper to mop up the flood of pee, I saw Bel had pooped on the floor--in two rooms. Not nice, firm poops that are easy to pick up--one or two fairly firm ones, then a bunch of really nasty stuff that I leave to your imagination. Just as I realized that, my still-wet dog sat down--right in the mess in the living room. So I faithfully grabbed a cloth and wiped him off. OK, he wasn't as clean as he'd been a few minutes ago, but it wasn't too bad either. Then I cleaned up the floor.

When I headed back to clean up the dining room, he pooped (I use that term loosely, considering the consistency) again in the living room--and sat down again. I repeated everything mentioned above. Now he was even less clean, but a second bath was out of the question--I was too tired. At some point in all my cleaning, he did his favorite thing and stood right in the spot I next needed to clean. By then Drew thought I was a madwoman, because he could hear me on the other side of the house. (OK, who among you wouldn't lose her cool after all this?) I think Bel did his thing again, but if he didn't, by the time we were finished, it felt as if he'd done it at least three times--maybe five. And I was exhausted!

I'm still not sure that this all didn't happen as a result of  spite at being wet. Bel is never happy at bathtime.

Worst of all, after the bath, I looked at the weather. The weatherman has changed his mind yet again. Tomorrow will be the balmy day, so I have a day full of wet dog inside the house.
Pam, worn-out food slave of the Dashing Bassets