[Dailydrool] Peaceful Hounds

Kr1204 kr1204 at aol.com
Sun Apr 10 09:47:36 PDT 2011

It is nice and peaceful here after the tumult of a couple of weeks ago when Crackers bloated and was touch and go for a couple of days. He is fully recovered and proved it last weekend by politely finishing off the French Toast with syrup that my x left unguarded on the table ?while he went to settle a hound squabble over who gets the sunny spot.
When Jordan came into this house, it took her a few days to realize that there was no alpha dog, Crackers is too mellow to care and Loki is still pretty brainless. So she took on the job and even though it is mostly just snarking and noise, Loki would run screaming from the room like he lost an ear. Then Drummer and Gracie moved in. They are both seniors and Gracie could care less about who is boss as long as she can find a soft bed. Drummer is just plain grumpy due to having only one eye from glaucoma and his sight is going, being a little deaf and some arthritis in his back legs.? So he barks and snarks and guards me when he is awake. Lately I thought that maybe Loki's brains were showing up as he has been standing up to Jordan and trying to chase Crackers away from his bowl during the post feeding bowl stroll (you never know, someone might have left a crumb). I mentioned it to my vet when I had Jordan in last week for her annual checkup and she said it was more likely "social maturation" which is the process where the dog realizes they are no longer a puppy and need to behave like an adult dog. What ever it is, Jordan has backed down from trying to chase Loki out of the bedroom and she is giving Drummer a wide berth even though he doesn't come after anyone. So at the moment there does not appear to be a clear alpha?here. And I like it just fine because after all, I am the real alpha!
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan and Drummer and Gracie the houseguests