[Dailydrool] Dog parks & aggressive dogs

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Sun Apr 10 19:03:09 PDT 2011

Unfortunately some folks have NO COMMON SENSE.  I have two dogs that would
be classified as red zone.  I don't care for the term, but they have
histories.  My dogs are not dog aggressive, they are human aggressive.  Both
were deemed unadoptable and given to me because I was in crazy love with
them, and they with me.   As a pet parent of badly behaved furkids, it is my
responsibility to protect both others and my dogs from interacting in any
way that is not controllable (i.e. a dog park).

Aggression is now commonly accepted by experts in dog behavior as an anxiety
disorder.  So if your dog is dog aggressive unless you have had 1000s of
safe and fun interactions with other dogs of every single breed to prove
that the anxiety is gone (which is really hard for the average dog owner to
do) you have no business at a place where there are random dogs you have
never met.  The potential for aggression is there in any dog, but one that
has a history has already proven they WILL bite when stressed, and dog parks
are stressful to some dogs, esp one that has had a history of bad
interactions with other dogs.

Unfortunately a lot of programs that treat red zones use methods that only
suppress the behavior with fear of punishment, they do not actually treat
the underlying disorder (almost always fear, which they actually compound).
So the dog is still afraid, but now the dog is afraid to act afraid, and it
acts like it is fine until it can't take it anymore, and blows.  Dog's who
have anxiety disorders that are treated by punishment are ticking time
bombs.

So I get big, sloppy, snooter kisses from my furkids, and keep them safe at
home.  Do I wish I could show off my beautiful bassies and let everyone know
how totally wonderful they are?  Of course!  I love them!  Someday I am
going to find a bunch of people brave enough to come help me work on their
bad manners, but I will not take them out off lead around a bunch of
strangers where they could bite someone.  Even if I didn't care about the
general public, my dogs could lose their lives.  And even if I can work on
them and they start acting like angels, I will never ever ever take them
somewhere crowded and let them off lead.  That's just..  I can't think of a
nice word.  I really tried. That's just stupid.

Your dog didn't do anything wrong.  Could be the dog didn't like short dogs.
Who knows.  My sister's dog hates doxies, and I have to keep her dog and my
doxies apart.  We have no idea why that particular breed sets him off. You
never know with dogs.  Anything novel is usually the enemy to an anxiety
dog, so your dog was probably just something new.  Obviously they still have
work to do, and hopefully they learned their lesson and will think twice
about going back to the dog park.

I recommend everyone who goes to a dog park carry Spray Shield with them,
just in case, and  watch both owners and dogs for any signs of trouble -
owners on cell phones or otherwise not paying attention to their dogs,
owners that looked worried, big spiked collars or heavy chains on dogs,
corrective collars on dogs (which can lead to aggression in some dogs),
un-neutered dogs, etc.  And keep your dogs close to you and your eyes open.
Have fun, but be aware of your surroundings and be ready to remove your dog
if necessary.

Hope your furkid is recovering nicely, and that it was not too traumatic.

Dawn Gardner
Behavioral Consultant & Trainer
Happy Hound Pet Services
336-432-8715