[Dailydrool] Drooler opinion requested: How successful is "rehabilitation" of dog-aggressive offenders?

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 20:39:00 PDT 2011

Now I am curious. I have had several responses off Drool and Bev's on Drool to
my posting about Bo's having been attacked at the dogpark by a dog which had
been declared "successfully rehabilitated" of dog-aggression by a "dog
rehabilitator". I know we have several dog behaviorists (Dawn G/ Sara) and at
least one vet (Laura T) in our group, plus many many experienced dog owners,
rescuers, and breeders.

What do people think is the success/recidivist rate for dogs declared
dog-aggressive/possibly dangerous? I recognize that this category could include
dogs who have occasionally bitten out of defensive snarkiness to dogs which
rabidly attack anything canine that moves. (I'm assuming the dog that bit Bo was
someplace between the two extremes). What I know about the dog that bit Bo was
that it/she was taken from the pound where it had landed because of "dog
aggression", and "rehabilitated" by a trainer who reportedly specializes in that
and then finds homes for the 'rescued and rehabilitated' dogs. This one wasn't a
real success story, it turns out. I partially ask because the rottweiler who bit
off part of my friend (and Drooler) Kim Slagel's finger when she broke up a
dogfight was sent to a "rehabilitation center" and then adopted to another
family. Kim and her husband sent a letter of protest to that center with photos
of the incredible damage done to both Kim and the small dog she rescued by the
rottweiler.

The "Dog Whisperer" (Cesar Millan) on television seems to believe that any dog,
no matter how seemingly vicious, can be totally rehabilitated. I am skeptical (I
wonder if the truth is more that an aggressive dog trained by Mr. Millan is
under control if it is standing next to Mr. Millan).

I think that even "rehabilitated" dogs should not be off leash at a dog
park--kind of like the no sex offenders living within X number of feet of an
elementary school--but I really know almost nothing about dog rehabilitation. I
would like to know what others think. This is basset related since my basset was
attacked by a supposedly rehabilitated dog, and also since some Droolers live
with bassets someplace--though probably at the milder end of the continuum--on
this continuum. Val